When it comes to kayak fishing you can't beat Southern Baja. The crystal clear, warm waters bring in a variety of fish, the quantity and quality of which are beyond your wildest dreams.
When it comes to Baja hospitality you can't beat the East Cape. The family owned and operated hotels, located on Baja's East Cape, are considered by many to be the finest fishing destinations in Baja. With their proximity to the fishing grounds Hotels Punta Colorada and Rancho Leonero are the first choice for the kayak fishing angler.
La Jolla Kayak Fishing Adventures has joined forces with Hotels Punta Colorada and Rancho Leonero, to bring you the ultimate kayak fishing experience. In an effort to become Baja's premier kayak fishing destinations, both hotels have invested in the largest fleet of Ocean Kayaks™ in Baja. The fleet contains the latest in fishing kayaks including the Tridents, Prowler 15. 13 and Big Game and includes old favorites like Scupper Pros, and Drifters. The kayaks are all outfitted for fishing by Jim Sammons of La Jolla Kayak Fishing and include multiple rod holders, seats, bow lines, paddles and PFD's.
Located on the southern end of Sea of Cortez, the hotels are closer to the fishing grounds than any other East Cape resorts, which means less time paddling and more time fishing. Our clients have posted amazing catches including kayak fishing record catches such as a eighty five pound Roosterfish by Tony Adams, a sixty pound Yellow fin Tuna by Brian Ticehurst and a sixty pound bull Dorado by Jim Sammons. Some of our other clients have been lucky enough to join the La Jolla Kayak Fishing Billfish club. An exclusive club of over twenty of our past guests have joined by catching a Marlin or Sailfish from their kayaks while on our trips. You will have fish pulling you so fast you'll question who's catching who. All this is possible just a short paddle from your hotel room, but we use a boat to get to the fish faster.
The East Cape of Baja is still one of the best fishing values available in the world, with five nights and four days of fishing, all inclusive kayak fishing packages starting at $1200.00 per person double occupancy. World record catches are available just footsteps away from your hotel room door. Our trip packages include, rooms, three meals a day, kayak rental, live bait, boat drinks, guide and panga support. This fee is based on four persons per guide and per panga and includes a $10 per day tip for your pangero. Guide Tips, Airfare and transfers are not included.
Each fishing day of your adventure will include a guided kayak-fishing session including mother ship support, four persons per boat, sodas or water and live bait (when available). We also video tape your adventure so that you can relive your trip with your family and friends when you return. DVD's are available for a nominal fee following the trip.
The typical itinerary for the day is:
- An early breakfast watching the sunrise over the Sea of Cortez.
- Day of guided kayak fishing with mother ship support. Fishing days are generally from 7:00am until 3:00pm. This time may change due to weather.
- After fishing a cold cerveza with ceviche and a dip in the pool.
- Siesta or a good book.
- Those that really need to get out on the water again can do an unguided paddle out evening session.
- Group dinner to talk about the days adventure and the game plan for the upcoming day.
For the experienced and entry-level kayak fisherman, the possibility of catching the fish of your life is just offshore.
LJKF trips to the East Cape are not for the kayak angler alone, bring along your entire family. There are tandem kayaks to take the kids out fishing, or for a relaxing evening paddle. The kids can spend hour's beach combing and snorkeling right in front of the hotel. With warm water, small waves and very little current, swimming in the Sea of Cortez is very safe. It is like snorkeling in a tropical aquarium.
Other activities available include:
- Snorkeling in the warm clear water. We recommend you bring your own gear for proper fit.
- Day trips to Cabo Pulmo national park, the only living coral reef' on the western shores of North America, for diving or snorkeling.
- Panga or Cruiser fishing.
- Walks down the miles of beautiful beaches (with a rod in hand for the great surf fishing).
- ATV rentals.
- Horseback riding.
- Swimming in the pool.
- Day tours of Cabo San Lucas and La Paz.
- Siestas in your air conditioned room and just plain relaxing.
- Rods: six to eight foot with seven foot being the optimum.
- Reels: Quality reels loaded with twenty to thirty pound test mono or fifty to eighty pound braid and extra line. Reels with clickers for trolling and something high speed for deep jigging. A Shimano TLD 15 lever drag reel is a good choice for your trolling reel. The fish down here will put your line and gear to the test.
- Light tackle: The East Cape is the perfect place to try to land that trophy fish on light tackle. Catching a Dorado on 6 lb. test is a thrill. It is also a great way to spend the evenings tossing jigs from the beach. With a light spinner or fly rod.
- Lures: Rapalas in several colors CD-11 and CD-14 or other trolling lures, Iron Jigs surface and heavy. Chrome and blue are great colors. The Mega bait irons are a great choice for the tuna down deep. Krocodiles small and large are hard to beat.
- Plenty of terminal tackle: Circle hooks from 2 to 10/0, the small ringed hooks are great for the small sardenas. Sinkers of varying weights, leader material from 40 to 100 pound test fluorocarbon. Make sure you bring the 100lb test if you want to land the billfish.
- Small Gaff and landing tool such as a Boca Grip.
- Portable bait tank, bait tube or other way to carry a few live baits, a small, lunch box size, soft cooler works great for a few baits.
- Sea anchor and paddle and rod leashes.
- Electronics: VHF radios are not required but we highly recommend that you bring one; they make it much easier for you to contact the boat if you need fresh bait, any assistance or your photo taken with that trophy fish. Help us help you by bringing this important tool. Portable fish finders are a great tool to have on the kayaks, and GPS.
- Tools: Extra diagonal cutters, needle nose, filet knife, and reel tools.
- Cooler to bring back your fish if you choose to keep any, along with some duct tape to seal the cooler and bring some zip lock bags in the gallon size.
- Sun Protection: You will spend many hours under the hot Baja sun and taking some precautions can save your trip, there's nothing worse than a bad sunburn. Sunscreen and lots of it, wide brimmed hat, Sunglasses (bring an extra pair) Light nylon pants and light long sleeve shirt. Camel Pak or other hydration system.
- Dry bags.
- Plenty of extra shorts and t-shirts. Sweat shirts or light jacket for the evenings.
- Camera to document your whole trip. The disposable waterproof cameras are a great way to go if you don't have a waterproof digital. Of course we take a lot of pictures to share with you.
- For those that have them, bringing your own kayak seat and paddle can really add to your enjoyment.
- Rancho Leonero has its own artesian well so you can feel safe drinking the water right from the tap, if you prefer they do have bottled water available for you to purchase and we will have a couple bottles for each person out on the boat each day.
Children less than 10 years of age are $15 per day when occupying room with parents Rates include 11% service charge and 12% Mexican sales tax. (Payable in advance)
Base gratuities for the Panga captains are included in your trip fee ($10 per day per person) If you feel your captain has done a good job please consider suplimenting this tip at the end of the trip. Tips for your guides are not included and can be paid at the end of your trip at your discretion. The guys work hard so please don't forget them. Rates do not include airfare or ground transfers
We limit our trips to groups of four persons per panga, if the group is larger than four we will get another panga. This will allow us to not only give more attention to the clients that need it but also makes us more efficient at moving from spot to spot. In other words you will get more fishing time. The price of the trips is based on groups of four; price will be adjusted to represent odd size groups.
These trips fill up well in advance so be sure to book your trip early. Please feel free to contact the La Jolla Kayak Fishing office for further information regarding rates, availability or any questions about the trips.
La Jolla Kayak Fishing Adventures
La Jolla Kayak Fishing Adventures runs guided group trips to the East Cape several times a year during the prime fishing seasons and we would love to have you join us. If the dates we have set do not work for you or if you would like your own private trip with your own small group we can arrange that also. A private group trip is perfect for the corporate get away, buddy trip or bachelor party. The private trips are also perfect for those wanting to exclusively target the bigger game fish, such as Marlin, from the kayaks. We can build a trip just for you and your group. If you would rather go unguided we can still make all the arraignments for you to insure you have the best trip possible. Please think of us when you are ready to book your stay at any of the East Cape resorts.
For more information on any of our fishing trips, fill out our contact form.